MEMBER OF THE twenty one pilots STREET TEAM...

Friday, June 20, 2014

52 Churches

This is going to be a little more personal than usual, so please bear with me. A few weeks ago, a friend invited me to visit People's Church in Clifton. I was immediately captivated by something I had never really seen much of in a church before; diversity. I ended up visiting People's Church for the next 6 weeks, totally in love with the diversity there. Actually, diversity became a center of my attention outside of church too. I don't really know how to describe it, it was just never far from my mind. I started examining how diverse my environment was, and I'm not just talking about racial or ethnic diversity. I examined my circle of friends. How diverse were we in interests, gifts, and talents? I examined everything that I could, right down to my music playlists. Then one day, I felt a question be placed on my heart:

How diverse are you?

Actually, in a lot of areas in my life, I do consider myself to be diverse. I've lived in different types of neighborhoods, I experienced homeschooling and public schooling, and I've managed to immerse myself in various circles of friends. But there is one area of my life where I haven't been diverse...

Church.

Instantly I felt convicted, and then, a random little thought popped into my head: I should visit some churches. My original idea was to visit ten churches over the course of the summer, but I just wasn't satisfied with that number. It was too small.

So, my new mission is to visit 52 churches over the course in the next year and a half; one for each week of the calendar year. I'm not really looking for a new church to call home, but I am just really eager and interested to see what else (and who else) is in and around my city. Many of my friends have already pointed me in many different directions, and I'm looking forward to them all.

I'll post some updates from my journey as I see called. I'm just really excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment